Tuesday, February 2, 2010
What day is it!?
Hey Guys!! I’d like to tell you what day it is here, but I really have no idea!! I have been to the spot were the west meets the east! We passed over the international dateline and have skipped a day!! Technically today is Tuesday, but my computer says Wednesday and it is 10:09 a.m. We have today off in lieu of this lost day and tomorrow is technically Thursday! So I figured, while I do have a ton of work to settle, I’d update you all with shipboard life. :) The ship’s cabins are divided into different seas, for example, my hallway from 3076-3150 is the Baltic Sea. This is who we run drills with, get off the ship with, and most importantly have Sea Olympics with!! That comes a little later, but should be awsome!! Our color is orange :) Anyways, so my sea and I all got the chance to have cocktails with the faculty on Sunday. They opened up the faculty lounge--which has a gorgeous panoramic view from the front of the ship and students are always trying to get into--and had cocktails, music, lights and dancing. It really was a good time. I spent most of the time talking with Erika, my Digital Storytelling teacher (I’m sure you’re getting sick of hearing me talk about her haha) and Henry, the videographer for the ship! They also served chips and salsa, which sounds very small but trust me--it was very comforting from the usual potatoes, pasta or salad we have to choose from at lunch and dinner. I went with Andrea and her roommate and met a bunch of our friends up there. It was a really nice change because usually teachers can not come to pub night with us. After that Andrea and I went upstairs for pub night where I met up with my friend Mariel--who I call Snookie from Jersey Shore and played some card games. Monday I got to meet with my ‘family’ on the ship for milk and cookies! It was really sweet, I have a mother, father and eleven brothers and sisters. The father is Rob who is an LLC (head of one of the seas and called a Living Learning Corrdinator...like an RA but better) for health education and then his wife and two kids are on the ship with him and apart of our family. So nice to have milk and cookies and build more friendships. The kids are adorable too. It’s funny to see children running around the boat, going to math, science or gym class. This ship really is a moving university, it’s crazy! Last night there was also a dance to celebrate the lost day in which you had to wear mix matched outfits. I didn’t go, my milk and cookies went on too long but some people had some really great creative outfits. Lots of underwear outside the clothes and neon colors! Matt and I watched the last Samurai and Planet Earth with his roommate, both I had never seen and both I plan on purchasing when I’m home. Today, whatever day it is, is photo day. Everyone from each school puts on tons of their school colors and takes a picture. So Mike, Andrea and I are all getting together and getting ready for our picture at 1:05 for Rhody, Rhody, Rhody, Rams, Rams, Rams!! Today I also need to shoot my one-minute movie for digital storytelling and write a two page paper for my Pakistan class. The group of us thats going to Tokyo together will also be getting together for lunch to finalize plans because we have to fill out paperwork saying we won’t be coming back to the ship. Andrea and I also filled out our arrival/departure cards for the remaining countries after milk and cookies which took seriously an hour. So that will be my day today...hopefully get some time to relax as well because we’re going to go six days straight with coursework. I’ll upload pictures when we get to Tokyo and get a hotel. I love you guys all bigger than the sky...B
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi! beckah, hopefully you'll get this, so far your trip seems AMAZING ! can't wait to hear about your days at sea.... i bet you are over the moon about japan, looking forward to living vicariously thru you!!!!!! love, hugs and grins, tante chrissy
ReplyDeleteGrandma says...what a awesome trip! You go girl. Thinking of you everyday! Say Hi to Matt.
ReplyDeleteLove the baby, Grammy and Grandpa
Bek it sounds like you're having a great time! can't wait to hear from you again. also, you must have been delusional when you wrote this because I think you wrote gym instead of physical education.............................................go get some sleep :)
ReplyDelete